“Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents which, in prosperous circumstances, would have lain dormant.” Horace (65-8 BC) Roman Poet
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course, that's easy to say when life is smooth and sweet. I find it less easy to remember this piece wisdom when I'm actually experiencing adversity. But that does not deny its fundamental truth. You only discover what you've got when you need to use what you've got. And the best stuff in you is revealed by the hardest times because we can all be good people when it's easy.
Next time, in the midst of troubles or strife, I'm going to ask myself what qualities I need to get me through this. Then I'm going to ask myself whether I'm prepared to summon them right now, when they're most needed, in order to help me - or a loved one - out.
I can't imagine I'll turn myself down...
No comments:
Post a Comment